Thursday, April 5, 2012

Stock (astral) Life-Cycle

I was really amazed this year that our astral stock flower seems not to mind the hot summer we had and living right through it. We still had a few plants flowering here and there in the garden at the moment that were planted last fall. A good month for sowing astral stock seeds here in Adelaide.
Astral stock newly germinated seeds.

Astral stock seedlings.
Hoping for volunteers this year and picture as a reminder for not weeding it.

End of winter last year, astral stock growing among our Italian sprouting broccoli plants.

Oh! The white cabbage butterfly seems fond of the flower stock.
Got the pest distracted a bit so it won't bother the brassica that much.

Gone are the broccoli plants.
Astral stock seed pods left to dry.
Astral stock seed pods resembles a mini version of stink bean (petai).

Astral stock flower seeds.

Psstt...my garden clock indicates that it is a good time to sow larkspur seeds now at Adelaide plain. This week we have so many larkspur volunteers popping in the garden.
Have a nice long weekend holiday!

14 comments:

Liz said...

I love how many flowers you have in amongst your veggies. I am trying to plant more because I think they work well both from a visual perspective but also in distracting the pests.

Mr. H. said...

What an interesting seed pod they form. We have a wild form of purple colored larkspur that grows around these parts and one of these days, when my timing is right, I will have to get seeds from it. If I was a cabbage butterfly I would choose the larkspur over the broccoli as well.:)

Mark Willis said...

That has reminded me - I must sow the seeds you sent me!

Sue Garrett said...

Some of the seeds you sent me grew last year Diana and some were double flowers - I'm hoping for some volunteers too!

Stephanie said...

The plant's pink flowers looks like kalanchoe blooms. Very pretty! The seed has a special shape also. Interesting vege ;-D You have a great weekend!

Kelli said...

I always enjoy your flowers amongst your veg! Such a great look too. I'm hoping to do more of this.

rainfield61 said...

The Astral stock flower seeds look like sea shells.

cookingvarieties said...

hi diana, so many seeds from the astral. are they flowers or are the leaves edible too.
when you mention larkspur, i remembered that one of their variety is considered as one of the most ""exotic flower in the world.
happy watching your garden grows and have a nice day

Jody said...

The Larkspur you sent us is growing now. It's very healthy and happy!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Liz~I think your girl will definitely enjoy the flowers among your veggies. Flowers also attract good predators into the garden.

Mr. H~I seen the pictures of the purple wild larkspur and they are really breathtaking. Good Luck on collecting the seeds.

Mark~Good Luck on the seeds!

Sue~Yes, we had some pink double flower too blooming last summer. Hope we get volunteers this year.

Stephanie~It does have an interesting shape of seed pods. Have a nice weekend too.

Kelli~I hope to see your cottage flowers among your veggies must be very lovely!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Rainfield61~It does look like seashell isn't it.

Wan~They are flowers to brighten up the veggie garden.

Jody~I am happy to hear that the larkspur has grown very well.

Wendy said...

cool looking bean!

Mama Pongkey said...

Some shoots came up in the pot where I sowed the astral stock seeds. I am happy to see that they resemble the ones you have in the pictures here :-) How do I know that they are ready to be transplanted? I am happy to see that they can distract brasicca pests. My kailan (Asian kale) looks like zombie plants, due to major pests (yes, plural!) infestation. Maybe I'll post the pics up for laughs. I want to do the same as you did for this new batch of kailan I have got coming up in another spot, far far away from the zombie plants..

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Mama Pongkey~ If the stock seedlings have more than 5-6 true leaves, should be fine to transplant it carefully like the 2nd photo for this posting.